Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Ziggy/Zomby coloring conundrum

Here, gentle reader, is how yesterday's Zomby Minus Zomby should have looked:



I said this was going to be an experimental week, and I see now that I was right.

It's been a few years since I did those original cartoons removing Ziggy from Ziggy, and since then something dreadful has happened to the coloring of the strip. Back then, the weekday Ziggys used solid blocks of flat color -- which to me worked very well with the very cartoony, stylized look of the feature and gave it a bold, bright look. Now, though, the colorists are using these wimpy "naturalistic" colors which fade in and out. It must be some cheap, easy Photoshop effect. In a word, I hate it. So I guess this week, I will also be "color correcting" the cartoons as I see fit.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the two cartoons which illustrates the coloring difference. (Fading colors vs. solid colors.)