Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Podcast Tuesday: "Oil and Water"

Al Molinaro prepares to baptize Henry Winkler as Tom Bosley and Marion Ross look on.

Somehow, we've made it through four entire seasons of Richie, Fonzie, and the gang from Milwaukee and all their wacky adventures on These Days Are Ours: A Happy Days Podcast. On today's installment, we review the fourth season finale, "Fonzie's Baptism" from March 1977. These were truly the glory days for the nostalgia-based sitcom. Happy Days was the #1 show on American television for the 1976-1977 season. It would never get more popular than this.

"Fonzie's Baptism" is a very quiet and subtle way to end the season, however. The fourth season began with the very over-the-top, almost cartoonish "Fonzie Love Pinky" three-parter. But it ended with a humble, intimate story about Fonzie (Henry Winkler) getting baptized after nearly dying in a car crash. No wacky antics here. The big musical number of the week is "Faith of Our Fathers," if that's any indication. Happy Days left the air for five and a half months after that and returned in mid-September 1977 with the infamous "Hollywood" three-parter.

Reviewing "Fonzie's Baptism" allowed me to revisit my own Catholic upbringing. Whatever my feelings on religion these days, the church was a big part of my childhood. By an odd coincidence, I was going though some old family photos recently when I found some snapshots of my own baptism. Like most baptismal candidates, I was only an infant at the time, so I can't say I remember much (or anything) about that significant day. I strongly remember my First Communion, though. It was likely the first time in my life I was made to wear a suit and tie. My family treated it like a birthday party, and I got some Looney Tunes stuffed animals that day.

Now I'm rambling. Anyway, here's the podcast. Enjoy.