Sunday, November 2, 2014

Ed Wood Extra! Indiegogo campaign for Rick Tell's 'Ed Wood: The Musical!'

The composer and his muse: Rick Tell and Edward D. Wood, Jr.

My friends, we are all interested in the theater, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our money. You may remember a while back when I devoted a week of Ed Wood Wednesdays to Rick Tell's then-unproduced Ed Wood: The Musical! Well, now Rick wants to changed that "unproduced" to "produced," and he has started an Indiegogo campaign to help him do just that. He's looking to raise $10,000 before December 9, 2014 in his quest. Not only am I contributing to this effort, but I've even made an appearance in the promotional video. Check it out:


From spending over a year writing about and researching the career of Edward D. Wood, Jr., I've learned a lot about the importance of following one's dreams and the difficulty involved in doing so. Money was a constant struggle for Ed Wood. He just never had enough of it to make most of his dreams come true. Therefore, I wholeheartedly support this Indiegogo campaign by Rick Tell and urge all my listeners to do the same.

By the way, while I've got your attention, I thought this was a good opportunity to finally use a couple of Wood-related images I've had saved to my computer for a while. First is a collage of book covers from the quickly-aborted "Woodpile Reproductions" campaign a few years back. None of these books are currently available, yet all can be (briefly) previewed on Amazon still today.

Don't get your hopes up. None of these "Woodpile Reproductions" are currently available.

The other image is another collage, this time of people who in my opinion resemble Ed Wood. I've included some images of Eddie himself to allow you to compare and contrast:

Top: Alan Young and Ed Wood. Bottom: Trevor Duncan, Ed Wood, and Errol Flynn.

On the top row, you'll see actor Alan Young as Wilbur Post on TV's Mr. Ed. I think Young really resembles the Glen or Glenda?-era Eddie. All that's missing is the cleft chin. On the bottom row, Ed is situated in the middle with lookalikes on either side. The fellow on the left is composer Trevor Duncan, whose music is actually heard in Plan 9 from Outer Space. On the right is famed screen lover Errol Flynn, to whom Eddie always compared himself. I found the most strikingly Wood-ian photo of Flynn and set it alongside Wood's own 8x10 glossy for your perusal.