Thursday, December 31, 2020

A whole year's worth of comics parodies and mashups!

A gloomy year demands a gloomy header image.

As recently as 2019, comic parodies were a regular feature on this blog. Then, without warning, they vanished altogether. What happened? Well, it's like this. Up until about December of last year, I was an active participant in a Facebook forum devoted to newspaper comics. I shared my various mashups and parodies there and then collected them into occasional blog posts here at Dead 2 Rights. When I gave up on the Facebook forum, I stopped doing comics-related posts on this blog, too.

But I never stopped reading newspaper comics or doing parodies of them. I just don't do them in such great quantities as I used to. Now it's late December, and I have a folder on my hard drive full to bursting with comics, so I thought I'd share them all at once. Sound good to you? Let's go.

Let's take a visit to Camp Swampy and see what the gang at Beetle Bailey is up to.

Amos dreams of Doodlebops.
Is Omni still a thing?

So... not much happening at Camp Swampy. Anything good happening at Crock these days?

These characters are named Maggot and Grossie. I'm not kidding.

Maybe we'll have more luck with Dennis the Menace. Dennis and his pal Joey are always getting into mischief. Frankly, though, Dennis is starting to worry about Joey.

Joey's cognitive skills are not where they need to be.

Just for fun, here's a version that's just shoes with nobody in them!

Is Dennis still menacing when he's just shoes?

And, naturally, I can't help but imagine the final installment of Dennis the Menace.

Advantage: Wilson.

Let's move on to the lovable melonheads of Family Circus. Yes, I'm occasionally still erasing all the human characters and leaving just the backgrounds.

Isn't this store nice with no people in it?

Speaking of that clothing store, the following Family Circus shows that the strip occasionally acknowledges the global pandemic. Unfortunately, I didn't think they went far enough, so I made a slight correction. I think this is a noticeable improvement.

The best thing about masks.

This year brought out something wicked in middle child Jeffy.

He sounds serious.


Is it even worth adding this one? Eh, I bothered to make it. Why not?

Dolly knows how to get through 2020.

Funky Winkebean remained as gross as ever in 2020. There was this whole thing, for instance, about Les getting Lisa's Story made into a movie. Again. Then the production was besieged by wildfires, forcing Les and the actress playing Lisa to take shelter in a boat. I decided to have some fun with their dialogue. BONUS: a color chart breakdown of the strip.

All the colors of the depressive rainbow.

The story about the wildfires went on and on. I thought the dialogue could use a little pruning.

Get to the goddamned point, Mopey Pete.

Just for gits and shiggles, here's a picture of Teenage Les about to jump off a diving board into molten lava.

Do it! Do it! Save us from decades of torment!

Garfield is always good for some larfs. What are Garfield and Jon up to these days?

Like John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. Except way better.

Oh, that. Anything else?

Remember that Snowman movie? This is what happens in it.

Hagar the Horrible also acknowledged the pandemic. I helped it along.

We all knew Hagar would be a super spreader.

I wondered what Hi & Lois would be like if the characters stopped even trying to make jokes.

Easy to translate, too!

Normally, I do a lot of Mark Trail parodies. That didn't happen in 2020. All I did was this dialogue switcheroo with Arctic Circle.

It barely makes a difference. In either of them.

Marvin's gonna Marvin. Most of my jokes about this strip involve infanticide. 

"Our lives would be so sweet, Jenny. You have no idea!"

Mary Worth used to be a staple of this blog. Again, that didn't happen in 2020. But I have a handful of parodies. Like this dialogue between Estelle and her cat Libby.

Because Libby cares about you, Estelle!

Somehow, Estelle and Wilbur reconciled. Why, I don't know. But I at least put it in a fun location.

Get it? Solo? Huh?

Wilbur's drab daughter Dawn had some dreary drama in 2020.

Why bother? They both totally suck.

And what did Mary's neighbor Tommy do this year? Not drugs, that's for sure!

Those are the eyes of a sober man.

Shoe featured a guest appearance by a cartoon superstar. Or at least it did in my mind.

He can't do the laugh anymore, so don't even ask.

Most of my comics parodies in 2020 were inspired by a great Twitter account called Comics Outta Context (@ComicContext). The premise is simple: "Panels from comics - out of context. That makes them funnier... sometimes." Basically, whenever I see a post from this account, I feel compelled to do a parody of it. Here's a sampling of my work in 2020.

You're holding up the line, dude.

They weren't crazy about him before this.

The problems of men with long, curly hair.

Awww! Remember The Brak Show?

Carol is not amused.

The 1970s were weird years for all of us.

Elmo appears to be loving this attention!

Eyebrow gymnastics.

This is an actual photograph of that party.

"That'll shut him up."

Live your best life, Namor!

Green Arrow avoids his civic duty.

Each country has its own theories of education.

Don't always try to "one up" your coworkers.

The problems of Canadian supeheroes.

When your teammates don't respect you.

I'm hungry just reading this.

Hey! Dennis is back! Hi, Dennis!

That's not a joke. He really did direct this.

And, as usual, we close out this little survey with a few odds and ends that don't fit into the other categories. In other words, the dregs. Like this box of ice cream bars (with a slightly altered slogan).

"No problem! Wait, I take that back! Big problem!"

No one was asking for a Frosty the Snowman/American Graffiti crossover. That didn't stop me.

You don't want to know what happened to Hocus Pocus. Trust me.

A second Green Arrow joke? This one was inspired by a real sign in my neighborhood.

I think that means you can go, lady.

No one was asking for a Rumors/Superman II crossover either. Or maybe someone did, and I just don't remember. It was that kind of year.

You can go your own way... back to the Phantom Zone, that is!

I don't really do topical or political humor. But I wanted to do one joke about voting in this election year! I thought this was pretty funny. No one else did, though.

Who wouldn't vote "YES"?

A couple of "goth" jokes. 

Fat Guy Goes Gothic!

See, instead of Punky Brewster, this is Gothy Brewster!

Things can get weird out on the lake. This was a single-panel cartoon that I decided to expand into a three-panel comic.

Evinrude owners have Johnson envy.

You won't get this next one unless you watch VCR Party Live on YouTube. But I spent time making this, so here it is.

You have to take my word for it.

This next one takes some explaining. You see, I wanted to do a whole article about how the Looney Tunes character Yosemite Sam was originally Semite Sam. He grew up in a Jewish family in New York. As a young man, he decided to make a complete break from his past, so he invented this "rootin' tootin'" cowboy persona. I never wrote the article, but I did create this one illustration, mostly from clipart. I think this was going to be Sam's father. Enjoy.

Semite Sam: Never made it past the planning stages, consarn it!

I took the time to brainstorm a new show for the CBS schedule. Did anyone thank me?

Better than Young Sheldon by a nose!

The royal family is still funny in 2020, right? Well, not all of them. But Charles is!

The man who wouldn't be king. Ever.

I thought it would be funny if Tina Belcher crashed the Kardashian family photo. Few agreed with me.

At least one smile here looks genuine.

Goodfellas/To Catch a Predator crossover, anyone? No? Okay then.

Timely, right?

Maybe an Empire Strikes Back/Lockup Raw crossover is more your speed?

You know the video I'm referencing here, right?

I told you these were the dregs. Don't worry. We're almost done here. I think we'll end with a couple of Masters of the Universe parodies. Like this one of Gwildor and Orko awkwardly sharing an elevator.

These two hate each other!

And we'll close out this article with a comic strip involving He-Man, Teela, and a third character.

You see, the joke is... oh, never mind.

That pretty much cleans me out. I hope at least one of these cartoons brought you some amusement. And, if not, I beg your pardon. I never promised you a rose garden!

See you in 2021! If there is one!