Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Podcast Tuesday: "Fonzie is Basically Magic Now"

Don Most, Ron Howard, James Randi, and Anson Williams on Happy Days.

Doing a podcast about Happy Days was not my idea. Sure, I watched the weekly nostalgic adventures of Richie Cunningham and his Milwaukee pals when I was a kid, but it was never a show I'd given a great deal of conscious thought. I don't think this lighthearted series lends itself to close scrutiny or deep analysis. Still, as my cohost and I have covered over 120 episodes of the sitcom, I've kept myself entertained by researching the careers of the numerous actors, writers, and producers who worked on it over its 11 seasons.

It helps when I'm already a fan of the guest stars. So far, I've gotten to talk about Jesse White, Diana Canova, Howdy Doody, Jack Riley, Michael Pataki, and many more. The Season 6 episode "The Magic Show" offers one of the most exciting guest stars yet: James Randi (1928-2020), aka The Amazing Randi, the world-renowned magician and skeptic who made a career of debunking so-called psychics and faith healers. Randi's career has fascinated me for years, and it was a special treat to see him on a show I was already covering.

But how does James Randi fit into the Happy Days universe? What kind of story could possibly require his unique talents? Find out when we review "The Magic Show" on These Days Are Ours: A Happy Days Podcast.