Saturday, December 23, 2023

And that'll do it for 2023! See you in 2024! (BONUS: Some comics!)

I'll be joining Larry Burns for some brewskis.

After a pretty busy 2023, this blog is going on a brief hiatus for a couple of weeks. I trust you can live without my super-niche Happy Days and Ed Wood content for the time being. Rest assured, These Days Are Ours and Ed Wood Wednesdays will both return in January. 

Boy, isn't it strange how this blog used to be about all kinds of stuff but is now just about those two topics? Hmmm. For instance, I used to do a lot of comics parodies on this blog, little sendups of comic strips and (less often) comic books. I haven't posted any of that stuff to this blog in three years. I haven't stopped making that kind of content, though. I just tend to post it to my Twitter account and leave it there. But Twitter (or, uh, X) seems to be in its death throes. I guess we'll see.

In the meantime, here are some of my extremely crude, silly comics from the last couple of years that haven't yet been posted to this blog. All created in Microsoft Paint. Enjoy or don't. 

Here's my take on that lovable, plucky orphan, Little Orphan Annie. 

I know that this joke was inspired by the movie Serial Mom.

I think this next one was inspired by having some (expensive) car troubles in 2023.

Get it? Because the thing means two things.

Oh, Dr. Fate, you'll be the death of us all, what with your tomfoolery and hijinks and whatnot!

Admit it, you'd be tempted, too.

Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I believe that Hall and Oates are going to have one hell of a reunion someday, once they sort out this legal unpleasantness between them.

Yes, that was one of their songs originally. Paul Young just covered it.

Let's have some fun with Superman, huh? Like, even he dodges responsibility sometimes. Case in point:

He's keeping his appointments. It's called being polite.

I have a fairly dull job, so I have plenty of time to think about stuff like this.

At least he's happy to see you.

And this.

Tucking a T-shirt into your jeans? For shame.

And, uh, this.

Did you know this was a biblical reference?

Literally no one but me found this funny. Screw you. I still like it.

This is biblical, too. But it was actually inspired by Paul's Boutique.

Same with this one. Funny to me, not funny to any other human being.

Do you kids even remember Kindergarten Cop? Christ, I'm old!

I mean, the haters were probably right about this next one.

Monty who? Never heard of 'em.

This is a character I came up with named Shecky Shark. Basically, he's Jabberjaw but with the personality of Shecky Greene instead of Curly Howard.

"I gotta tell ya..."

And another character: Combolumbo. He's a cheddar cheese Combo who solves murder cases.

"Please stop licking the salt off me, ma'am."

Here's a little scene involving Melody, my favorite member of Josie & The Pussycats.

Melody lives the way I wish I could.

It actually turns out there's way, way more of this stuff on my hard drive. Too much for one post. If I find myself in the mood someday, I'll post more of it.