Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Podcast Tuesday: "Chachi Threatens a Small Child"

Erin Moran and Scott Baio on Happy Days.

For seven of its eleven seasons, Happy Days featured a character named Chachi Arcola. This character, introduced as the cousin of Arthur Fonzarelli (Henry Winkler), was played by an actor named Scott Baio. Many people have strong negative feelings associated with Chachi Arcola, and many more have strong negative feelings associated with Scott Baio. Mr. Baio is very politically outspoken on a number of issues and has been accused of sexual misconduct by coworkers. Chachi is just kind of an annoying little twerp with a dumb catchphrase. ("Wa wa wa!")

The question is, do we equate Chachi Arcola and Scott Baio? I have been cohosting a Happy Days podcast for over three years, and in that time, I have said little to nothing about Mr. Baio's life and career after the show ended in 1984. My cohost has been more outspoken on this topic. I choose to ignore it. Not that I condone Mr. Baio's actions, far from it, but I try to focus on the fact that we are talking about a fictional character played by an actor who was in his teens and early 20s at the time. When I comment on the Chachi Arcola character, I try to focus on Scott Baio's acting and the types of scenes and situations the writers invent for him. Here, too, there is room for criticism, but is of an aesthetic nature rather than political or moral.

This week on These Days Are Ours: A Happy Days Podcast, we are reviewing the Season 7 episode "Fools Rush In," which casts a spotlight on the relationship between Joanie Cunningham (Erin Moran) and Chachi. In fact, it's about their first real date and the trepidation they both feel. As I reviewed this episode, I tried to concentrate on the inner reality of Happy Days, i.e. the fictional universe these characters inhabit. My cohost was more concerned with the outer reality of Happy Days, i.e. the real lives of the actors who appeared on the show.

Whose viewpoint ultimately wins out? Find out when you listen to the latest installment of These Days Are Ours!